Titan soccer bashes Millikin at home

By William Heidenreich Nov1,2019
Captain Patrick Hickey (above), is one goal shy of recording a double-didgit scoring season. On Tuesday, he netted his eight and ninth goals in the Titan’s contest against Millikin University. 

When the opposing team manages to get their first shot off in under a minute, the game usually does not end well for their opponents. 

This was the case for the IWU Titan soccer team, but Instead of the game ending in defeat for the Titans, they flew past the Millikin Big Blue by a score of 4-2. 

Not only did Millikin’s first shot come early, but the Titans first goal did too. On an assist from junior midfielder Bobby Reichert, captain midfielder Patrick Hickey notched his eighth goal of the season. 

The goal came in the eighth minute of play, alleviating the stress caused by the earlier defensive lapse that resulted in Millikin’s sub-minute first shot.

Hickey would go on to score a second goal, but not before two of his teammates did the same. 

Carding his third goal of the season, Doug Ballard found the back of the net thanks to assists from sophomore winger Donovan Malone and Hickey. 

After Malone’s goal, the team led 2-1 at the 21:57 mark of the first-half. 

The Titans third and final goal of the first half would come from the foot of senior defenseman Spencer Bard. 

On a pass from sophomore midfielder Zack Kokes, Bard buried the ball in the back of the net six minutes after his teammate Ballard. 

3-1 after only 28 minutes of play. This goal was also the first of Bard’s career. 

“Being on defense, I don’t get a lot of opportunities to score, so it was nice to finally get a goal before my time playing soccer for IWU is over,” Bard said. 

The second-half was filled with less scoring action than the first. A Millikin goal in the 59 minute put the Big Blue within one from tying. 

It was not until the 74 minute that the Titans would score their fourth and final goal of the match, 4-2 IWU with 15 minutes remaining in regulation. 

As the game wound down, Millikin would manage to fire one shot off in the 85 minute, an attempt that was blocked by senior goalkeeper Alex Ruckstaetter. 

With their final regular-season competition this Saturday, IWU will look to finish their season on a high-note. Currently, they have a record of 9-7 (5-2 CCIW). 

“Our game Saturday is not only the last of our season, but it is also senior day. The whole team will be fighting to send our seniors off with a win over Elmhurst,” Ruckstaetter said. 

Related Post